Job Title: Purchasing Agent
Department: Finance/Procurement and Contracts
Reports To: Manager of Procurement and Contracts
FLSA Status: Exempt
Approved Date: 2021
Provides control over the Authority's procurement process by executing effective, efficient, and uniform methodologies that ensure compliance with all federal and state regulatory requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The duties listed below illustrate of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements regarding duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment in association with this position. Undertakes and performs the following and all other work-related duties as assigned.
- Reviews requisitions, consult with vendors and representatives concerning the material, equipment, supply, and service needs. Negotiates price trade and cash discounts and evaluates all offers to determine which best suits the needs of the Authority.
- Oversees the creation of procurement activities for outside contract work, ensuring competitive bids are received and reviewed for adherence to budget, procedural, and technical requirements. Responsible for evaluating contract files for compliance with HUD regulations and preparing appropriate forms, letters, and documents accordingly.
- Conducts formal or informal bidding for non-Davis Bacon projects or services, reviewing responses and making recommendations for awards.
- Reviews bid offers and negotiates within budgetary limitations and scope of authority.
- Initiates contracts or purchase orders as required for materials, equipment, and services.
- Interviews vendors to obtain information relative to product, price, the ability of the vendor to produce the product, service, and delivery date. Also, continually evaluates vendor performance and determines standards for continued vendor participation.
- Recommends or issues changes to the contract, highlighting conditions that could jeopardize contract performance. Makes recommendations on problems of production, delivery, Authority-furnished property, quality assurance acceptance, or other areas affecting the contract.
- Reviews written documentation of defective/unacceptable goods or services with inventory users, vendors, etc., and takes corrective action for items acquired through use of a purchase order as may be necessary.
- Works with user departments to ensure timely and appropriate stock levels and to determine quality/life/performance of the purchased goods and services.
- Develops specifications and standardizations for inventory of necessary office supplies, equipment, maintenance, and repair needs and monitors usage quantities and frequency through review of inventory reports to track utilization of resources. Calculates and analyzes trends and projections to establish minimum and maximum inventory levels and reorder quantities.
- Assist in the review of invoices for which no purchase order was issued or for discrepancies between invoices and purchase orders that are brought to Procurement's attention. Ensures proper payments on invoices and requests special disbursement for emergency purchases.
- Administers the disposition of fixed assets in accordance with Authority policy and procedure.
- Maintains procurement records in accordance with record retention policies. Maintains vendor files and performs the purchase order/invoice matching function as well as monitors the status of open purchase orders.
- Cultivates and manages new vendor enrollment and communications.
- Maintains records on purchase price information on both open market and contract purchases and revises as conditions change.
- Plans and administers a program of standardization to reduce to a minimum the various sizes, types, styles, and kinds of equipment and supplies purchased.
- Prepares financial and administrative reporting on procurement activities.
- Maintains files for Procurement and Contracting functions in accordance with departmental policy requirements and audit standards.
- Maintains knowledge of organizational and governmental regulations affecting purchases and Authority policies and procedures.
- Participates in cross-training program with Procurement and Contracts staff to provide coverage during staff absences.
- Receives requests for office supply needs for Authority staff, releasing requisitions for the reorder of materials as required.
- Educates, trains, and encourages vendors in HUD and Authority Section 3 objectives.
- Develops sources for the procurement of supplies, services, and equipment by attending demonstrations, contacting vendors, reviewing professional publications, and establishing personal networks. Investigates and report on new or tentative products and methods of service.
- Accountable for consistent adherence to strong Authority standards regarding the ethical, responsible, and appropriate use, care, and safeguarding of Authority materials, supplies, resources, and other assets.
The employee receives directions from the Manager of Procurement and Contracts. Courses of action, deadlines, and priorities are established by policy, procedure, rule, regulation, or the Housing Authority of Kansas City, Missouri, depending upon the assignment. Normal duty assignments are performed by the employee based on his/her own judgment. The employee has no supervisory responsibility.
Qualifications and Competencies
This position requires the incumbent to exhibit the following behavioral skills:
Job Knowledge: Exhibits requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the position effectively. Demonstrates knowledge of policies, procedures, goals, objectives, operational entities, requirements, and activities as they apply to the assigned organizational entity of the Authority. Uses appropriate judgment & decision-making in accordance with the level of responsibility.
Commitment: Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and works hard/smart to achieve them; strives for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and brings issues to closure; persists despite obstacles and opposition.
Customer Service: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; identifies, understands, monitors, and measures the needs of both internal and external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind. Recognizes work colleagues as customers.
Effective Communication: Ensures important information is passed to those who need to know; conveys necessary information clearly and effectively orally or in writing. Demonstrates attention to and conveys an understanding of the comments and questions of others; listens effectively.
Initiative: Proactively seeks solutions to resolve unexpected challenges. Actively assists others without formal/informal direction. Possesses the capacity to learn and actively seeks developmental feedback. Applies feedback for continued growth by mastering concepts needed to perform work.
Responsiveness and Accountability: Demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness; holds oneself personally responsible for one's own work; does a fair share of work.
Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Must be thoroughly knowledgeable in all areas of Federal, State, and local procurement rules and regulations; State Public Bidding Statutes as applicable, Authority's Annual Contributions Contract (ACC) with HUD and HUD Handbook No. 7460.8 REV-2 or revisions, Procurement Handbook for Public Housing Agencies and Indian Housing Authorities.
- Ability to interpret regulations and standards, and contracts for compliance with relevant requirements and Authority standards.
- Working knowledge of specification writing, bidding procedures, cost of labor, and materials for rehabilitation projects.
- Skilled in interviewing vendors; persistent in following up on performance and in identifying problems and formulating solutions.
- Must possess advanced computer capability, customer service skills, and the ability to interact with departments within the Authority and with the public.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations.
- Ability to compose reports, correspondences, and written procedures.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients, customers, and the public.
- Effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations to customers, clients, and others in written and verbal formats.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, percentages, area circumference, and volume. The ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry to bid responses.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Must be able to maintain punctuality and attendance as scheduled.
Education and Experience
Associate degree from an accredited college or university with a concentration in accounting, business administration, or a closely related field or supplemented five (5) years of progressively responsible business experience. Prefer working knowledge of Public Sector procurement. Must be able to work independently to complete tasks.
The following Certifications must be obtained within one (1) year of employment or other allowable period of hire as authorized by the Executive Director or his/her designee:
- Procurement and Contract Management
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Incumbent(s) must be able to meet the physical requirements of the classification and have mobility, balance, coordination, vision, hearing, and dexterity levels appropriate to the functions performed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment with occasional travel to meetings. The incumbent frequently uses standard office equipment, including personal computers, telephones, and related equipment. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Office environment. The noise level in the work environment is moderate. Work involves the normal risks or discomfort associated with an office environment and is usually in an area that is adequately cooled, heated, lighted, and ventilated.
The employee has contact with a broad range of individuals, including co-workers and business professionals such as contractors, consultants, and other business firms. Personal contacts serve multiple purposes, including giving or exchanging information, making decisions, providing services, decision-making, resolving problems, and negotiation.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Must be available for occasional overnight travel for training.
- Must pass employment drug screening and criminal background check.
- Must work with the highest degree of confidentiality
The Housing Authority of Kansas City, Missouri, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This job description is subject to change and in no manner states or implies that these are the only duties and responsibilities to be performed. The duties herein are representative of the essential functions of this job. This job description reflects management's assignment of functions; however, it does not prescribe or restrict tasks that may be assigned. Nothing in this document restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time. The qualifications listed above are guidelines, and other combinations of education and experience that could provide the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job may be considered at the discretion of the Executive Director.
Employment with the Housing Authority of Kansas City, Missouri, is on an "at-will" basis. Nothing in this document is intended to create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, and does not constitute a promise of continued employment.
Disclaimer: The above statements describe the general nature, level, and type of work performed by the incumbent(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, demands, and skills required of personnel so classified. Job descriptions are not intended to and do not imply or create any employment, compensation, or contract rights to any person or persons. Management reserves the right to add, delete, or modify and/or all provisions of this description at any time as needed without notice. This job description supersedes earlier versions.