HCV Program Specialist
Job Title: HCV Program Specialist
Department: Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program
Reports To: HCV Program Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Approved Date: 2021
Responsible for performing general clerical work and assigned duties pertaining to, and in
accordance with, the Authority's Public Housing leasing and occupancy policies and procedures
and in accordance with HUD, federal, local, and other applicable laws, rules, policies, and
procedures. Performs a variety of client-service tasks in the development, implementation, and
delivery of housing services to new and continuing assisted housing program participants.
Provides program information and requirements to participants and landlords and assures
program compliance according to Part 982 of CFR and required record maintenance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The duties listed below illustrate of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission
of specific statements regarding duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar,
related, or a logical assignment in association with this position. Undertakes and performs the
following and all other work-related duties as assigned.
1. Answers inquiries concerning policies and practices associated with the application and/or reexamination processes in a courteous and professional manner or routes/directs inquiries to
2. Schedules appointments and assists in explaining programs and eligibility requirements to
applicants. Counsels participants on unit affordability.
3. Assists in coordinating background information checks of tenants to be recertified. Assists in
performing final eligibility verifications.
4. Contacts eligible applicants to offer available units in accordance with Authority policies and
5. Reviews, verifies, and determines participant eligibility for continued assistance including unit
and owner eligibility for participation.
6. Performs annual and interim eligibility determinations based on changes in participant
income, assets, expenses, family composition, and approved rental increases or decreases.
7. Interviews current program participants annually or in the interim to determine family
composition, household income and expenses. Provides recertification packet to participants.
8. Periodically reviews applicant files and updates information on prospective tenants and places
non-respondents in inactive files.
9. Contributes to the preparation of lease-up packets and briefs new tenants on occupancy and
10. Processes contracts and reviews leases for completeness and accuracy.
11. Assists in accurate and timely preparation of Form HUD-50058.
12. Accurately computes income, assets, expenses, and deductions to determine Housing
Assistance Payments (HAP) and participant rent.
13. Assists in collection and review of interim transfer and re-certification information, and
coordinates evaluation, verification, and calculation of information and rent for recertification
14. Explains rent calculation to tenants and assists with completion of recertification materials as
assigned. Assists in preparing and sending appropriate notices of rent adjustments in
accordance with HUD regulations.
15. Schedules and conducts re-examination interviews with tenants as assigned, following proper
verification methods/processing for each re-examination in accordance with HUD and
Authority policies and procedures. Assists in examination and resolution of income
discrepancies as necessary.
16. Determines program compliance of participants and applicants.
17. Responds to written and verbal requests/inquiries from participants and landlords.
18. Maintains and monitors program participant files and records in compliance with established
policies and procedures.
19. Accurately, enters move-in and move-out data into system, as needed.
20. Maintains assigned case records regarding terminated contracts and assistance or reduction
in amounts of assistance, and accurately updates system on all assigned cases and HUD forms
in accordance with HUD regulations and Authority policy.
21. Maintains accurate and comprehensive data for statistical and reporting purposes.
22. Reviews, interprets, implements, and stays updated on all rules and regulations concerning
assisted housing programs, as well as applicable local, State, and Federal laws, regulations,
codes, Authority policies and procedures, and administrative plan.
23. Prepares weekly desk audit report for management.
24. Ensures privacy and maintains security of confidential materials.
The employee receives instructions and supervision from the HCV Program Supervisor. Courses
of action, deadlines, and priorities are established by procedure, the supervisor, or the employee,
depending on the assignment. Routine duties are initiated and completed by the employee
without supervisory direction. Instructions to the employee may be general or specific in nature.
Problems or situations not covered by instructions are usually referred to the supervisor for
resolution. The employee's finished work is closely reviewed on a regular basis for accuracy,
completion, and compliance with policies and procedures and the attainment of objectives. The
employee has no supervisory duties.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
This position requires the incumbent to exhibit the following behavioral skills:
Job Knowledge: Exhibits requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the position effectively.
Demonstrates knowledge of policies, procedures, goals, objectives, operational entities,
requirements, and activities as they apply to the assigned organizational entity of the Authority. Uses appropriate judgment & decision making in accordance with level of responsibility.
Commitment: Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and works
hard/smart to achieve them; strives for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and brings
issues to closure; persists despite obstacles and opposition.
Customer Service: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external
customers; identifies, understands, monitors, and measures the needs of both internal and
external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind. Recognizes work colleagues as
Effective Communication: Ensures important information is passed to those who need to know;
conveys necessary information clearly and effectively orally or in writing. Demonstrates attention
to, and conveys understanding of, the comments and questions of others; listens effectively.
Initiative: Proactively seeks solutions to resolve unexpected challenges. Actively assists others
without formal/informal direction. Possesses the capacity to learn and actively seeks
developmental feedback. Applies feedback for continued growth by mastering concepts needed
to perform work.
Responsiveness and Accountability: Demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness; holds oneself
personally responsible for one's own work; does fair share of work.
Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to
others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts
success of team above own interests; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
1. Ability to learn federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations and Authority policies
and procedures pertaining to public housing as appropriate to position.
2. Working knowledge of interviewing techniques and record maintenance.
3. Ability to meet and deal tactfully and courteously with the public.
4. Ability to understand and follow moderately complex written and oral instructions,
communicate and relate to persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
5. Ability to make routine decisions in accordance with established administrative rules,
regulations, and policies, to explain the re-examination process to tenants in an objective
and impartial manner.
6. Knowledge of MS Office Suite.
7. Ability to work in a fast pace office environment.
8. Demonstrate the ability to work effectively with a diverse economic population.
9. Must be able to perform mathematical calculations.
10. Demonstrate good time management skills and ability to prioritize tasks as needed.
11. Ability to be detail oriented, organized, and have good public communication skills.
12. Must maintain punctuality and attendance as scheduled.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school diploma/GED supplemented by an Associate Degree in related field of study and
three (3) years' experience in the housing or social services field, or an equivalent combination of
education and experience sufficient to fulfill essential position functions. Educational requirement
may be substituted with two (2) years of direct HCV Program experience as an HCV Program
Specialist or comparable position.
The following Certifications must be obtained within one (1) year of employment or other
allowable period of hire as authorized by the Executive Director or his/her designee:
▪ Occupancy Standards
▪ Rent Calculation
▪ Enterprise Income Verification System (EIV)
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Incumbent(s) must be able to meet the physical requirements of the classification and have mobility,
balance, coordination, vision, hearing, and dexterity levels appropriate to the functions performed.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
Work is performed primarily in an office environment with occasional travel to meetings. The
incumbent frequently uses standard office equipment including personal computers, telephone,
and related equipment. The work environment characteristics described here are representative
of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Office environment. The noise level in the work environment is moderate. Work involves the
normal risks or discomfort associated with an office environment and is usually in an area that is
adequately cooled, heated, lighted, and ventilated.
The employee's contacts are primarily with other employees, managers, owners/landlords, and
participants. Such contacts require the ability to establish and maintain good working
relationships on a long-term basis. The purpose of these contacts is to obtain or provide
information; plan, coordinate, and advise other activities; motivate, influence, or others; and justify,
defend, negotiate, or resolve matters and issues concerning HCVP occupancy issues.
1. Must possess a valid driver's license.
2. Must be available for occasional overnight travel for training.
3. Must pass employment drug screening and criminal background check.
4. Must work with the highest degree of confidentiality.
The Housing Authority of Kansas City, Missouri is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This job
description is subject to change and in no manner states or implies that these are the only duties
and responsibilities to be performed. The duties herein are representative of the essential
functions of this job. This job description reflects management's assignment of functions;
however, it does not prescribe or restrict tasks that may be assigned. Nothing in this document
restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time. The
qualifications listed above are guidelines, other combinations of education and experience that
could provide the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job may be considered
at the discretion of the Executive Director.
Employment with the Housing Authority of Kansas City, Missouri is on an "at-will" basis. Nothing
in this document is intended to create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, and does
not constitute a promise of continued employment.
Disclaimer: The above statements describe the general nature, level, and type of work performed
by the incumbent(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list
of all responsibilities, demands, and skills required of personnel so classified. Job descriptions are
not intended to and do not imply or create any employment, compensation, or contract rights to
any person or persons. Management reserves the right to add, delete, or modify and/or all
provisions of this description at any time as needed without notice. This job description
supersedes earlier versions.