HCV Assistant Director 2022
Job Title: HCV Assistant Director
Department: Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP)
Reports To: Director of Housing Choice Voucher Program
FLSA Status: Exempt
Approved Date: 2022
Responsible for directing the day-to-day activities of the HCV Program relative to customer service and rental integrity and housing quality standards. Must have knowledge and experience of multiple HCV programs (i.e. VASH, TBV, Mainstream, PBV, PBVR, NED, FUP).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The duties listed below illustrate of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements regarding duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment in association with this position. Undertakes and performs the following and all other work-related duties as assigned.
1. Assists in the supervision all personnel assigned to the HCV office, delegates assignments, and conducts the daily affairs of the office in a businesslike manner to ensure that the department maintains HCVP subsidy allotments filled with eligible participants.
2. Provides day to day direction to and supervision of staff who perform reexaminations and other routine functions of the department.
3. Provides ongoing assistance to support a positive and productive working environment. Plans, prioritizes, schedules, and assigns work.
4. Ensures compliance with HUD guidelines and regulations, the Authority's Administrative Plan, federal, state, and local regulations, laws, ordinances, and Authority policies as required and to achieve the highest possible rating under HUD's Section 8 Management Assessment Program (SEMAP) or other HUD evaluation systems.
5. Ensures assigned staff are properly trained to complete their duties initially and ongoing. Develops and implements training program.
6. Assists staff in the interpretation of federal regulations and the Administrative Plan in daily operation. Writes and reviews processes and procedures to ensure program compliance with statutory deadlines.
7. Delegates tasks as appropriate.
8. Develops reports to monitor completion of tasks to ensure acceptable performance relative to SEMAP. Performs quality control reviews on tenant files as required.
9. Monitors processing of services and documents. Performs regular audits for quality assurance purposes to determine accuracy and timeliness of services and payments.
10. Timely submission of records to PIC, troubleshoot and correct errors; complete and submit other reports as required by HUD.
11. Conducts performance appraisals.
12. Monitors program turnover to ensure maximum voucher utilization.
13. Prepares and recommends program policy changes and updates.
14. Maintains and updates list of standard operating procedures.
15. Meets regularly with Team Leaders to ensure efficient and timely completion of tasks.
16. Conducts training, meetings and/or sits on committees which impact HCV policies, procedures, and regulations. Conducts regular staff meetings to keep employees informed of relevant information and to discuss current issues.
17. Reviews quality control reports and implements necessary corrective action.
18. Resolves complaints and disputes.
19. Serves as the lead person on all PIC and software related issues and resolutions.
20. Prepares required reports in an accurate and timely manner and in accordance with Authority standards.
21. Attends professional meetings, seminars, and conferences to keep abreast of new trends, activities, and concepts in the HCVP. Supports, assists, and works with other Agencies and affiliated organizations in joint efforts, which are mutually beneficial.
Receives instructions from the Director of HCVP. Courses of action, deadlines, and priorities are established by procedure, the supervisor, or the employee, depending on the assignment. Meetings are held on a regular and frequent basis to discuss current issues, deadlines, and/or operational issues. Routine duties are initiated by the employee without supervisory direction. Instructions to the employee may be general or specific in nature. Problems or situations not covered by instructions are referred to the supervisor for resolution. The employee's finished work is reviewed closely for compliance with applicable policies, procedures, and regulations.
Under normal conditions, the employee makes general assignments to HCVP staff specifying priorities, deadlines, and objectives. The employee frequently makes specific assignments to department staff. Assignments to staff will include what is to be done, deadlines, quality, quantity, and priority.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
This position requires the incumbent to exhibit the following behavioral skills:
Job Knowledge: Exhibits requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the position effectively. Demonstrates knowledge of policies, procedures, goals, objectives, operational entities, requirements, and activities as they apply to the assigned organizational entity of the Authority. Uses appropriate judgment & decision making in accordance with level of responsibility.
Commitment: Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and works hard/smart to achieve them; strives for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and brings issues to closure; persists despite obstacles and opposition.
Customer Service: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; identifies, understands, monitors, and measures the needs of both internal and external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind. Recognizes work colleagues as customers.
Effective Communication: Ensures important information is passed to those who need to know; conveys necessary information clearly and effectively orally or in writing. Demonstrates attention to, and conveys understanding of, the comments and questions of others; listens effectively.
Initiative: Proactively seeks solutions to resolve unexpected challenges. Actively assists others without formal/informal direction. Possesses the capacity to learn and actively seeks developmental feedback. Applies feedback for continued growth by mastering concepts needed to perform work.
Responsiveness and Accountability: Demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness, holds oneself personally responsible for one's own work, does fair share of work.
Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
Leadership: Provides direction by clearly and effectively setting course of action for department and subordinates; manages performance by providing regular feedback and reinforcement to subordinates.
1. Thorough knowledge of the principles, techniques and practices of subsidized housing management including organization, management, maintenance, and operation of subsidized units and Housing Choice Voucher Program; federal, state, and local housing regulations and operating requirements; and the ability to apply that knowledge to perform the essential functions of the position.
2. Thorough knowledge of Housing Choice Voucher eligibility and rent calculation requirements, as required by HUD and Housing Quality Standard (HQS) Inspection Program.
3. Thorough knowledge of the principles, techniques, and practices of budget development and administration; financial planning, budget planning and analysis; and the ability to apply that knowledge to perform the essential functions of the position.
4. Requires strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills; the ability to effectively communicate and interact with individuals of varying social, cultural, economic, professional, and educational backgrounds including the ability to effectively deal with individuals who may be angry, argumentative, or disagreeable; the ability to act with tact, good judgment, and discretion; and to maintain the confidentiality of matters as appropriate.
5. Thorough knowledge of the modern principles, practices, and techniques of personnel management, training, and performance evaluation.
6. Good knowledge of procurement regulations.
7. Thorough knowledge of the modern principles, practices, and techniques of budgeting and accounting.
8. Skill in addressing the public and other bodies and presenting information in a clear, organized, and convincing manner.
9. Ability to accurately and completely document in writing appropriate events and activities.
10. Ability to plan, direct, and supervise the work of others, to delegate responsibility and authority, and to hold subordinates accountable for tasks assigned.
11. Ability to read and comprehend relatively complex material.
12. Ability to identify operational problems and develop effective solutions.
13. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, co-workers, and persons outside the Authority.
14. Ability to prepare clear and concise narrative and statistical reports and deal effectively with situations requiring tact and diplomacy, yet firmness.
15. Knowledge of MS. Office Suite.
16. Knowledge and experience working with HUD Secured Systems and PHA related software programs
17. Knowledge of working with the VMS system and the ability to interpret program trends
18. Ability to work in a fast-paced office environment while multitasking.
19. Demonstrate the ability to work effectively with a diverse economic population.
20. Must be able to perform mathematical calculations.
21. Demonstrate good time management skills and ability to prioritize tasks as needed.
22. Ability to be detail oriented, organized, and have good public communication skills.
23. Must maintain punctuality and attendance as scheduled.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree in Business, Public Administration, or a closely related field from an accredited college or university and five (5) years of experience in HUD Programs (HCV Program) or low-income housing with increasing responsibility in a senior supervisory capacity or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience resulting in the ability to fulfill the essential job duties of the position.
The following Certifications must be obtained within one (1) year of employment or other allowable period of hire as authorized by the Executive Director or his/her designee:
- HCV Executive Management
- HCV Financial Management
- Occupancy Standards
- Rent Calculation
- Enterprise Income Verification System (EIV)
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Incumbent(s) must be able to meet the physical requirements of the classification and have mobility, balance, coordination, vision, hearing, and dexterity levels appropriate to the functions performed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment with occasional travel to meetings. The incumbent frequently uses standard office equipment including personal computers, telephone, and related equipment. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Office environment. The noise level in the work environment is moderate. Work involves the normal risks or discomfort associated with an office environment and is usually in an area that is adequately cooled, heated, lighted, and ventilated.
- Must be available for occasional overnight travel for training.
- May be required to work an unusual work schedule.
- Must pass employment drug screening and criminal background check.
- Must work with the highest degree of confidentiality.
The Housing Authority of Kansas City, Missouri is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This job description is subject to change and in no manner states or implies that these are the only duties and responsibilities to be performed. The duties herein are representative of the essential functions of this job. This job description reflects management's assignment of functions; however, it does not prescribe or restrict tasks that may be assigned. Nothing in this document restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time. The qualifications listed above are guidelines, other combinations of education and experience that could provide the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job may be considered at the discretion of the Executive Director.
Employment with the Housing Authority of Kansas City, Missouri is on an "at-will" basis. Nothing in this document is intended to create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, and does not constitute a promise of continued employment.
Disclaimer: The above statements describe the general nature, level, and type of work performed by the incumbent(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, demands, and skills required of personnel so classified. Job descriptions are not intended to and do not imply or create any employment, compensation, or contract rights to any person or persons. Management reserves the right to add, delete, or modify and/or all provisions of this description at any time as needed without notice. This job description supersedes earlier versions.