HCV Customer Service Representative
Job Title: Customer Service Representative
Department: Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program
Reports To: HCV Program Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Approved Date: 2021
Responsible for incoming calls and provide support to the Tenant Selection, Public Housing and HCV Program departments by assisting tenants, landlords and outside agencies with inquiries regarding Authority functions and programs. The employee performs general office work and various administrative support functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The duties listed below illustrate of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements regarding duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment in association with this position. Undertakes and performs the following and all other work-related duties as assigned.
1. Manages reception lobby. Answers telephone, screens calls, and greets visitors in a courteous, professional manner, ascertains nature of their business and conducts guests to meet with appropriate person. Answers general inquiries from other employees and the public, in person and over the phone. Refers calls and/or visitors to other employees or departments as appropriate. Secures and transmits routine information on Authority programs as directed.
2. Manages and answers a high volume of incoming calls and directs to proper contact person/department/team. Provides information about the establishment, such as location, department or offices, staff within the organization, or services provided; and observes and reports any unusual activity in the reception lobby.
3. Stamps, logs, and distributes incoming documentation and electronic communications to appropriate department/recipient.
4. Effectively communicates policy procedures to customers and presents the information in a clear and understandable format.
5. Maintains a log of incoming Request for Tenancy Approval paperwork and mail that has been returned via the post office.
6. Assists program participants with issues surrounding the completion of tenant information.
7. Provides administrative support by stamping, sorting, logging, and distributing mail, and incoming shipments.
8. Assist with departmental mailings.
9. Maintains lobby area in a neat, presentable, and orderly style.
10. Alerts security of all disturbances and inappropriate behavior.
11. Acts as backup for other customer service personnel as needed.
The employee receives assignments and instructions from the HCV Program Supervisor. Course of action, deadlines, and priorities may be established by procedure, the supervisor, or the employee, depending on the assignment. The employee initiates routine activities without supervisory direction. Problems or situations not covered by instructions are normally referred to the supervisor for resolution. The employee's work is reviewed for accuracy, completion, and compliance with policies and procedures. The employee has no supervisory responsibilities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
This position requires the incumbent to exhibit the following behavioral skills:
Job Knowledge: Exhibits requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the position effectively. Demonstrates knowledge of policies, procedures, goals, objectives, operational entities, requirements, and activities as they apply to the assigned organizational entity of the Authority. Uses appropriate judgment & decision making in accordance with level of responsibility.
Commitment: Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and works hard/smart to achieve them; strives for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and brings issues to closure; persists despite obstacles and opposition.
Customer Service: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; identifies, understands, monitors, and measures the needs of both internal and external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind. Recognizes work colleagues as customers.
Effective Communication: Ensures important information is passed to those who need to know; conveys necessary information clearly and effectively orally or in writing. Demonstrates attention to, and conveys understanding of, the comments and questions of others; listens effectively.
Initiative: Proactively seeks solutions to resolve unexpected challenges. Actively assists others without formal/informal direction. Possesses the capacity to learn and actively seeks developmental feedback. Applies feedback for continued growth by mastering concepts needed to perform work.
Responsiveness and Accountability: Demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness; holds oneself personally responsible for one's own work; does fair share of work.
Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
1. Knowledge of MS Office Suite, PDF Complete and Elite software.
2. Ability to work in a fast-pace office environment.
3. Demonstrate good time management skills and ability to prioritize tasks as needed.
4. Ability to handle high volumes of data entry.
5. Ability to be detail oriented, organized, and have good public communication skills.
6. Demonstrates initiative and is self-motivated to start and complete projects.
7. Provide clear and accurate information while remaining patient and courtesy to customers who may at times be difficult to handle or emotional.
8. Must maintain punctuality and attendance as scheduled.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school diploma/GED. A minimum of two (2) years of customer service experience, preferably in public or private housing management operation and must be able to type 60 WPM.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Incumbent(s) must be able to meet the physical requirements of the classification and have mobility, balance, coordination, vision, hearing, and dexterity levels appropriate to the functions performed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment with occasional travel to meetings. The incumbent frequently uses standard office equipment including personal computers, telephone, and related equipment. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Office environment. The noise level in the work environment is moderate. Work involves the normal risks or discomfort associated with an office environment and is usually in an area that is adequately cooled, heated, lighted, and ventilated.
Most of the employee's contacts are with Authority employees, tenants, and landlords. The purpose of the contacts is to give or exchange information, provide services, make decisions, negotiate, and resolve problems. Most contacts are structured or confidential in nature and the employee is expected to use normal tact and courtesy.
At times, contacts may be skeptical, uncooperative, unreceptive, hostile, or willing to express different viewpoints and objectives.
1. Must be available for occasional overnight travel for training.
2. Must pass employment drug screening and criminal background check.
3. Must work with the highest degree of confidentiality.
The Housing Authority of Kansas City, Missouri is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This job description is subject to change and in no manner states or implies that these are the only duties and responsibilities to be performed. The duties herein are representative of the essential functions of this job. This job description reflects management's assignment of functions; however, it does not prescribe or restrict tasks that may be assigned. Nothing in this document restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time. The qualifications listed above are guidelines, other combinations of education and experience that could provide the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job may be considered at the discretion of the Executive Director.
Employment with the Housing Authority of Kansas City, Missouri is on an "at-will" basis. Nothing in this document is intended to create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, and does not constitute a promise of continued employment.
Disclaimer: The above statements describe the general nature, level, and type of work performed by the incumbent(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, demands, and skills required of personnel so classified. Job descriptions are not intended to and do not imply or create any employment, compensation, or contract rights to any person or persons. Management reserves the right to add, delete, or modify and/or all provisions of this description at any time as needed without notice. This job description supersedes earlier versions.